domingo, 31 de mayo de 2009

DIET FOR A NEW AMERICA

Last class we saw a couple of videos that showed us, how the way we eat can harm ourselves and the ecosistem, and the world itself. It was directed by Jhon Robbins son of the owner of baskins and robbins, that leaft the family bussiness to take social action about whats happening in our ecosistem and our diet.
It showed, the way our food is made, how eating meat or chicken in a large amount has affect our ecosistem and our health. Because the people who does this things only cares about making money and the benefit of themselves and dont think about how is harming others and these are things that many people doesnt know about.

I read chapter 6 of our book that was about the investigation of truth, it starts telling us the desire of knowledge us humans have, "we gain an understanding of the mysteries of the universe" we all want to know and understand human nature.
By understanding we can take concsiousness about “the organic unity of the human race”. By taking knowledge of whats happening in our world and take action about it, can make a change in our society.

I think we can relate this chapter to the videos, by looking that many of us didnt knew this things, how our diet has affect our health and ecosistem. The milk for example, I didnt knew the fat that it had and that is the one that I consume every day and doesnt really help me.
So know that I have the knowledge of it, ¿ would I do something about it?, I can think about it, but in the moment I probably wouldnt do anything. I should take more care about eating more healthier, eat less fat to take care of my self. And knowing that it harms our ecosystem I should take more consciousness about what I should eat more and less.

So here we can see the role of individual, if we are social responsible and knowing all of this, we would have to take care of changing our way of eating It is really hard, but it would change a lot of things. Like John Robbins said, “we have choices to make, healling choices” if we choose the right path it would change our world.

3 comentarios:

  1. Viviana - This is a very interesting post, I enjoyed reading it. I am very curious about why you say that you probably won't do anything about the problems we saw in the video even though you now see the terrible consequences in our society. Could you explain why? Why should we investigate the truth if we are not willing to make any changes? Is it better to not know the truth?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I think its difficult for me because Im used to eat like this, but if I make an effort I could arrange the way the things are, and still there are people that has more power of will. So we should do something because thats whats right, you know it, but sometimes is hard.It is good to know the truth but the choices you make is up to you.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Viviana - Right, sometimes we don't want to know the truth because we are comfortable with how our lives are. This is the consequence of knowing the truth, making the change it requires! :) We all have much more will power than we can imagine!

    ResponderEliminar