domingo, 12 de julio de 2009

COGNITVE SURPLUS

Last class, we saw a video were we treated many topics, like consumism, and a new concept for me, cognitive surplus.
The man in the video,Clay Shirky's, said that cognitive surplus, is the excess of knowledge that many individuals have here in our society. He says that this cognitive surplus is very big and that by the new technolgys we have created is much easier to expand this knowledge. So here he makes a reflection about how many potential we have if we cared to use our cognitive surplus, instead of wasting time watching televition we could use internet to interact with others and expand our knowledge.

My personal reflection of the video
I think that what he says It´s true, we all are worried to consume instead of give, the televition is the biggest relax for many people, because like he says, you dont really do something, so I agree that instead of wasting time doing nothing we could use other technologys like internet and interact with others, to use that cognitive surplus, that you have, to expand knowledge and help others. I think that with the apparition of internet, there have being a lot much more interaction between people of all the world, you can meet any person of any society, so if its easier to interact you should take advantage of it.

Has it challenged you to think about your activities and how you spend your free time?
Yes, because what he says its true, I am more a consumer than a producer, I spend my time watching t,v, and well I use internet, for homeworks, and talking by messenger, but I dont care of giving to other people.

Are you primarily a consumer or do you produce and share as much or more than you consume?
I am primarily a consumer like I said, I worry more of fulfilling my necessities, instead of looking to produce and help others.

Does it help you appreciate the social action you are doing for this class?
Yes, I should take conscience that they are people that you with all the advantages that you have, for being more lucky, can change the lives of many, if you put enthuasiasm on it.

4 comentarios:

  1. Viviana - This is a nice reflection on your own cognitive surplus. It is interesting that you do use the Internet, but you think that you could use it much more effectively. How could you use it more effectively? You don't think that you are using your cognitive surplus wisely with messenger?

    I agree that we need to feel fortunate that we have cognitive surplus, but that also gives us a responsibility to use it wisely.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. hey viviana! good job!
    I have a question, what changes are you going to do in order to become a more productive person and stop being a consumer only?

    ResponderEliminar
  3. If you say interact with others you should be more specific, because people could think that chat in MSN is something productive... you should mention others tools of internet!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Justin: I could use it more effectively if I produce informaation and I am not doing it. Know that we discussed in class about it, in terms of that you say that if we use internet to interact with others is good, Ill be using messenger well because im interacting and giving information to others in an easy and fast way.

    ChabE: I think I would have to not only use it for me, I could interact a little more with others, appart from messenger.

    ResponderEliminar